Ian has over 20 years of property experience having focused on international markets including Europe and Africa. He previously headed the valuation and tenant representation departments of a major international real estate consultancy based in southern Europe.
Qualifications / Memberships
- BSc (Hons) – Urban Estate Management
- MRICS - RICS registered valuer)
- Director - EMC Real Estate
- Partner - Cushman & Wakefield
- Relocation analysis/market entry
- Portfolio restructuring
- Financial modelling
- Feasibility and risk studies
Projects / Accomplishments
- Sale of factory in Cairo, Egypt - Acting on behalf of an international manufacturer Ian successfully structured the sale of a manufacturing facility on the outskirts of Cairo. The transaction involved resolving issues with the property use and licence, creating interest in the property from a number of parties before negotiating a sale to the existing occupier.
- HQ acquisition for a telecoms company in Erbil, Northern Iraq - Working quickly in a challenging market where there was high demand for the small amount of available office space, Ian secured a HQ in an annex to an office tower in the premier office location. The lease contract was signed within a month from appointment at a rent below prime Erbil office rentals and ticked all the boxes for the occupier in terms of location, quality, health and safety and security.
- Relocation and property market analysis in Brazil - Ian provided valuation, property market research and relocation advice for consulates in Recife, Belo Horizonte and Porto Alegre, Brazil. The successfully completed instruction spanned several months and was made challenging due to the focus on property that would provide large floor plates in markets that traditionally built tall buildings with small floor plates.
- Residential development feasibility study in Accra, Ghana - Acting on behalf of a local developer Ian provided market and financial analysis to establish the feasibility of a large, high value residential development in Accra, Ghana. The study identified the existing and future competing residential schemes, highlighting demand and supply, price point and internal rate of return for the development.
- Portfolio review in Denmark and Sweden - Ian undertook a review of a portfolio consisting of a hotel, 3 offices, 3 development opportunities, 17 residential buildings and 2 retail/residential buildings totalling 150,000 sq m. The combined annual rent totalled Euro18m and the purpose of the review was to highlight potential opportunities and disposals.
- Valuation in Iceland - Acting on behalf of a western Government Ian undertook residential and commercial valuations for strategic planning purposes of operational properties in the capital Reykjavik, sourcing transactional information from property investors, agents and developers.